August News You Can Use Editorial

August Reset: The Back-to-School Juggle Is Real 

By: Kim Drew, MD


As a mom, the month of August always brings a wave of anxiety for me.

Every year, I know what is coming, and I try to brace myself for the hundreds of emails between three children in preparation for the new school year. Supply lists, sports schedules, orientation dates, forms to sign, teacher emails, and calendar invitations seem to arrive all at once. And yet, despite my best intentions, I still struggle to organize my calendar—especially while balancing the demands of a busy private practice.

Every year, I tell myself, this is the year I finally get it together.   Meanwhile, my children joke about how many times I'll forget them at carpool or the bus stop before the school year is over.  True story. 

I mentally prepare “the run of show.” I promise myself I’ll block my clinic schedule early, plan ahead for school events, and stay one step ahead of the chaos. Somehow, despite all of that preparation, August still has a way of humbling me.

Honestly, running a bustling private practice, being a wife, and managing three children is still a challenge. You would think that after all these years I would have mastered this “run of show.”

I haven’t.

And truthfully…I’m still learning.

What I have learned is this: to have a successful show, you need the right people in place. One of the greatest lessons I’ve learned over the years is accepting that I cannot do it all. As women, we often feel like we should be able to manage every detail ourselves. But I’ve discovered that asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness—it is one of the greatest investments we can make in ourselves, our families, and our careers.

So, as we begin another school year, I wanted to share a few things that have made a meaningful difference for me.

Build a Support System

One of the most impactful decisions I made was hiring a personal assistant to help with many of the day-to-day logistics that can quickly become overwhelming.

Whether it’s dropping off the dry cleaning, picking something up for the kids, delivering forgotten school projects, or handling unexpected errands, having someone I trust to take care of those tasks has been invaluable.

Because I am in private practice, I was able to cross-train my assistant as a medical assistant. When she isn’t helping with personal errands, she’s in the office rooming patients and supporting my clinical team. It’s a win-win that has allowed me to be more present both at work and at home.

Don’t Be Afraid to Outsource at Home

Another game changer has been asking for help around the house.

Having someone deep clean weekly and help maintain the house during the week has been one of the best gifts I’ve given myself. When I walk through the front door after a full clinic day, I don’t immediately feel overwhelmed by another list of chores waiting for me.

Instead, I can spend that time helping with homework, attending practices and games, enjoying dinner together, or simply sitting on the couch talking with my children about their day.

Those moments are priceless.

Take the Stress Out of Dinner

Anyone with children involved in sports knows that evenings can quickly become a blur of practices, games, and carpools.

One thing that has helped our family tremendously is asking my parents or hiring a chef to prepare two or three meals each week. Knowing that we have healthy, balanced meals waiting for us eliminates so much stress during our busiest weeks.

If hiring a chef isn’t realistic, meal prepping on weekends or using a healthy meal delivery service can provide many of the same benefits. Sometimes simplifying just one part of your week can make a tremendous difference.

A Few Simple Things That Help Me

Over the years, I’ve also learned a few smaller habits that help keep our family moving:

  • Block your calendar with school holidays, early dismissal days, performances, and sporting events as soon as schedules are released.
  • Use a shared family Google calendar so everyone knows where they need to be.  I confess that I still use a paper calendar as well.  It makes my momma heart happy. 
  • Pack backpacks, lunches, and sports equipment the night before, even loaded in the car. 
  • Give yourself grace when things don’t go according to plan.

Because they won’t.

And that’s okay.

As I reflect on what has helped me navigate this season of life, I realize that my greatest support hasn’t just come from systems or schedules—it has come from people.

I am incredibly grateful for my partners, who have consistently supported me both professionally and personally. They understand the challenges of balancing patient care, family life, and the unexpected moments that inevitably arise. Knowing I have colleagues who are willing to step in, encourage me, and remind me that we’re all navigating similar challenges has made an immeasurable difference.

I am equally thankful for the many colleagues I have met through the Women’s Dermatologic Society. Throughout my career, so many WDS members have been generous with their time, wisdom, and encouragement. They have served as mentors, sounding boards, and friends, showing me that it is possible to build a thriving career while raising a family.

What inspires me most is that so many of these remarkable dermatologists are parents themselves. They are leading practices, conducting research, serving their communities, mentoring the next generation, and still finding ways to give back to this incredible organization. Their example reminds me that success isn’t about doing everything perfectly—it’s about lifting one another up along the way.

As we begin another busy school year, I hope you’ll remember that you don’t have to carry everything alone. Lean on your family, your colleagues, and this wonderful community of dermatologists.  We are stronger because we support one another, and that may be the greatest lesson of all.

Here’s to another school year filled with grace, resilience, and the reminder that while none of us has truly mastered “the run of show,” together, we can help one another navigate it a little more smoothly.

Wishing you and your families a wonderful start to the school year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Reviews of Dermatologists: Friend or Foe?

Watch Your Back: Improving Your Posture and the Ergonomics of Clinic to Prevent Back Pain

Coding Beyond the Clinic: New 2025 Updates in Telehealth E/M for Dermatology Practice