Young Physician Spotlight- July 2027

 Young Physician Spotlight- July 2027
An Interview with Jacqueline Watchmaker, MD

Interviewed by: Dr. Amaris Geisler, Dr. Brianna Olamiju, Dr. Anagha Bangalore Kumar, and Dr. Sarah Woodside



1. How did you become involved in the WDS and what benefits do you think WDS membership provides for residents/young physicians?
I became involved with the WDS during residency through mentorship, networking opportunities, and educational programs. One of the things I appreciate most about WDS is its commitment to supporting women in dermatology at every stage of their careers. For residents and young physicians, WDS provides access to incredible mentors, leadership opportunities, research support, and a network of colleagues who are invested in helping one another succeed.

2. Are you in private practice or academics? At what point did you decide that you wanted to do private practice versus academics?
I am in private practice, but I remain very involved in education. I regularly work with rotating residents and medical students, participate in journal clubs, and stay engaged with academic activities. When I was looking for my first position, I wanted to practice in an environment with a wide range of lasers and energy-based devices so I could offer the best possible treatments to my patients. I found that opportunity in private practice while still maintaining many of the teaching and mentorship aspects that I enjoy about academics.

3. What advice do you have for young physicians regarding leadership?
One piece of advice I would give is to be generous with your time, especially when it comes to mentoring others. A quick phone call, coffee meeting, or conversation may seem like a small commitment, but it can make a meaningful difference to a resident or young physician seeking guidance. I've found that some of the best leaders are approachable, willing to help others, and committed to lifting up the next generation of physicians. Leadership isn't always about holding a title, it's often about showing up for people and creating opportunities for others to succeed.

4. Who were/are your mentors?
I have been fortunate to have incredible mentors throughout my training. Dr. Leah Chung has been a major influence on my career. She is an outstanding medical and cosmetic dermatologist, highly accomplished in dermatopathology, deeply committed to research, and exceptional with patients. In addition, Dr. Jeff Dover is an important mentor. He is a true expert in laser dermatology and has demonstrated the importance of contributing to academic societies and advancing the field through education and leadership.

5. What are you working on now?
I am always working on educational projects with residents, including book chapters and other scholarly activities. I also serve as Academic Co-Director for SCALE Music City, where we are constantly looking for ways to improve the meeting and create new opportunities for learning and mentorship. This year, we introduced the SCALE Rising Derm Star Competition, which highlights and supports outstanding resident talent.

6. Do you have advice for young physicians on achieving work-life balance?
Early in your career, it can be helpful to say "yes" more often than you say "no." Those experiences help you build skills, relationships, and opportunities. As your career progresses, however, I think it's important to become more selective and focus on the activities that are truly fulfilling, align with your goals, and bring you joy.

 7. What do you like to do in your free time?
Outside of work, I enjoy traveling, taking Pilates classes, spending time with my husband Max, my family, and our cat Luna.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coding Beyond the Clinic: New 2025 Updates in Telehealth E/M for Dermatology Practice

Online Reviews of Dermatologists: Friend or Foe?