WDS Young Physician Spotlight Interview - Leah Swanson, MD

 WDS Young Physician Spotlight Interview – Leah Swanson, M.D.
Interviewed by Stephanie Florez-Pollack, M.D.

Dr. Leah Swanson is a double board-certified dermatologist and dermatopathologist. She is currently an assistant professor in the Department of Dermatology of Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. Swanson has built an expertise in comprehensive dermatologic care for women, including vulvar and breast dermatoses. In addition to her clinical activities, Dr. Swanson serves as a member of multiple dermatologic societies and is active in the education and mentorship of medical students and resident physicians. Dr. Swanson has previously served in the WDS Young Physicians Committee and continues to be an active member of the WDS.

1.)     How did you become involved in the WDS and what benefits do you think WDS membership provides for residents/young physicians?

One of my mentors from residency highly valued the inspiration and support she received from involvement in the WDS. WDS offers abundant networking opportunities with other physicians who are warm and approachable and eager to mentor. The educational resources provide high yield information on a variety of relevant topics both academic, practice based, and for professional development. I love the WDS Forum! This unforgetable and fun event has motivational lectures and great educational content. 

 

2.)     At what point did you decide that you wanted to do academics versus private practice? What's the biggest challenge you've faced in academia?

I always knew I wanted to be in acadmics. I considered private if the right academic position wasn’t feasible. However, I felt that my destiny (cheesy but true) is to give back to the academic centers that have meaningfully contributed to my life and enabled me to stay healthy and achieve my dream of a career in medicine. I enjoy the complexity of cases seen in an academic practice, teaching trainees, and having so many awesome colleagues for collaboration and assistance both in medical derm and in dermpath.

In academia there are many moving parts and subseuqently I must shift my focus frequently to keep a lot afloat. It can be challenging to balance projects with med students and residents, educations for trainees, larger speaking engagements, patient care, and pathology.

 

3.)     Advice to young physicians regarding leadership?

Leadership doesn’t have to be a specific title or position but about inspiring and influencing others to work toward a common goal. Lead by example, effectively communicate by not just conveying your ideas but actively listening to others, and empower others by encouraging and supporting your team member and colleagues’ growth and successes. Pursue opportunities to help foster leadership skills but even without formal positions it’s highly likely you will lead a team as a dermatologist. 

 

4.)     Who were/are your mentors?

Dr. Maria Hordinsky was my mentor in medical school and Dr. Mansi Sarihan was my mentor in residency. Since establishing my niche in women’s health I’m hoping to collaborate more and establish new mentors within the International Society for the Study of Vulvovaginal Disease. Dr. Margot Peters is helping me to navigate into breast dermatology/dermatopathology.  

 

5.)     What are you working on now? What future goals do you have?

I am working on optimizing the care I provide to women in my women’s health clinic. We have a team of nurses, administrative assistants, and photographers who assist in this clinic, and I’ve worked on education for our healthcare team and patients, improving workflows, and keeping the team inspired. My goal is to become more active in the ISSVD as my son is getting older and working on more research projects that contribute to the literature for both breast and vulvar dermatoses especially from a dermatopathology perspective.

 

6.)     Do you have advice to young physicians on achieving work/life balance?

Work/life balance is hard and don’t feel alone if this is a moving target for you. Things will ebb and flow. Set boundardies and protect your time for self-care. I reduced my work hours after my son was born and have no regrets. Delegate tasks as much as possible both at work and at home. Set realistic expectations for yourself and don’t apologize for achieving your goals on your own time frame as there is no race therefore don’t compare yourself to others. Seek support from your colleagues many who have likely experienced the same struggles.


7.)   What do you like to do in your free time?

 I spend most of my time with my husband (a sinus surgeon I met at intern orientation) and my 2.5-year-old son. Therefore, our weekend activities include soccer, the Little Gym tumbling, and quick brunching. I enjoy escaping to pilates classes. We bought a new home almost two years ago, and I’ve loved embracing a modern desert Spanish décor, although it’s still a work in progress. We socialize with a great network of friends from work and are hosting an upcoming Holi festival and Easter brunch/egg hunt.

Comments

  1. "Insightful read! Your perspective sheds light on a crucial topic. I appreciate the depth of your analysis and look forward to more thought-provoking content from you. Well done!"
    Dr. Peush Bajpai, recognized as the best oncologist in Delhi, brings almost two decades of clinical expertise. At Manipal Hospital Delhi, he provides exceptional care and leads groundbreaking advancements in cancer treatment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Message from the President

7 Easy Habits to Conquer Public Speaking