WDS Career Corner : Motherhood and Dermatology

Special thanks to Drs. Leah Swanson and Maressa Criscito for sharing their motherhood journeys with us! See below for tips on pregnancy planning, work obligations, balance, and more.

 

Pregnancy Planning

·       There’s no “ideal” time to have a child. Just do what is right for you and your family.

·       I would've loved to have been settled with a few years under my belt before having a family; however, it just wasn't possible because of my age and other risk factors. It was stressful interviewing for jobs in the early stages of my pregnancy and moving six months pregnant. I was very lucky in having no issues with fertility and everything worked out for me. If you decide to start a family and everything works out for you, don't feel like you need to explain your choices or apologize for yourself to your employer. 

·       Look into insurance coverage for fertility services at your institution. Consider freezing eggs or embryos if not looking to start a family just yet.

 

Maternity Leave

·       I was able to take six weeks paid and six weeks unpaid and took the max time allowed. I felt I had the right amount of time off even though I'm guessing going back to work has mixed feelings of excitement and sadness regardless of the amount of maternity leave. I used vacation to take a graduated return to work and colleagues have done the same. 

 

Work Obligations and Time Management

·       The mom guilt is real! During my maternity leave I decided to reduce my workload from five to four days. I initially wanted more time with my son and realized it was nice to use that time for household management and work catch up. I don't regret this choice at all.

  • I've found that waking up earlier than the rest of my family allows me to catch up on work and prepare for the day. It also allows me to start my day with a sense of calm. Of course, this is not always possible. I'm not always waking up at 5am and that is OK! Flexibility is key! 
  • I was fortunate to be salaried and have blocked time for pumping which is a lot of work. It's challenging to attend in person 7am meetings depending on your childcare, but the transition to Zoom or Teams since the pandemic really helps to stay connected, especially if you are pumping over noon meetings! 

Childcare

  • It is ok to ask for help! Ask for help from caregivers, family, friends. Help may be in the form of asking a family member to watch your child so that you can get some work done – and that's great! It gives your child (or children) the opportunity to establish their own independent relationships with loved one as well!

·       Although some have success with nanny agencies, my experience was that they collect a huge annual finder fee and have no guarantee or control over quality and management. My colleagues and I have found the best nannies and sitters through networking/word of mouth. Local physician Facebook groups can be good resources.

·       Research preschool/early childcare options early as some have very long waitlists (>1yr).

 

Juggling Responsibilities

  • The perfect balance does not exist. Some days I'm 70% mom and 30% doctor. Other days, I'm 30% mom and 70% doctor. Whatever the breakdown may be, it is important to recognize that it may change on the daily and to recognize the importance of being flexible in the process of it all.

·       Do what is best for your family and set your own academic and family goals. Things will ebb and flow and the to-do list can seem daunting. Reassess work/academic commitments that don't benefit you or the commitment isn't worth the gain.

·       It's ok to say no or start with "I'll think about it". Give yourself grace and flexible deadlines when possible. 

  • Outsource as you can. Amazon is a best friend, as is FreshDirect. If possible, think about outsourcing things like laundry and housekeeping, amongst others.

Final Tips

  • Open communication with your partner and planning is important.
  • Schedule time for yourself. I've found that scheduling time for myself is a non-negotiable. I'm able to be the best mom to my children when I can do the things that I love to do as well!
  • Make time with your children high-quality time. Whether I'm reading a book to my children after a long day in clinic or planned a special mommy and me outing, when I'm with my children, I make it a point to give them 100% of my attention.
  • Give yourself grace. It's important to recognize that being an amazing mom and a working mom with a fulfilling job is possible! You got this.

Comments

  1. This electronic dermatology chair comes with a detachable headrest, detachable leg rest, armrests, a nose slot for breathing and a head pillow. The handheld remote can independently control height/ backrest/ tilt/ leg rest position.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Message from the President

7 Easy Habits to Conquer Public Speaking