WDS Young Physician Spotlight Interview – Joanna Walker, MD

Interviewed by Stephanie Florez-Pollack, MD

Joanna Walker, MD is a double board-certified Dermatologist and Mohs Surgeon, and Assistant Professor of Clinical Dermatology at the University of Pennsylvania. She directs the Rare and Advanced Skin Cancer Clinic where patients with advanced, high risk and rare skin cancers as well as organ transplant patients are cared for with a multidisciplinary approach. Her research interests include clinical and translational research in cutaneous oncology, and clinical trial interventions for advanced stage cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. Dr. Walker holds an MD from the University of Rochester School of Medicine with a Distinction in Research and completed Dermatology residency at Brown University. After residency, she joined the faculty at Brown Dermatology, directing the high-risk cutaneous carcinoma and pigmented lesion clinic. She decided to expand her repertoire for skin cancer management and completed a Mohs Dermatologic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania. Outside of work, Dr. Walker enjoys spending time with her husband, their five children and golden retriever. They love to travel back to her home-state Alaska to spend time exploring nature, fishing and hiking.
 
 

How did you become involved in the WDS and what benefits do you think WDS membership provides for residents/young physicians?

I became involved in the WDS during my residency, initially going to WDS meetings and then becoming involved with service projects and the community outreach committee. The WDS provides an unpretentious and accessible support system for residents and young physicians as well as the opportunity to join an organization that is deeply committed to service to women, children and underserved individuals.


At what point did you decide that you wanted to do academics versus private practice? What's the biggest challenge you've faced in academia?


I decided in residency to focus on advanced cutaneous oncology care, so I knew I would need to be in an academic center to work closely with colleagues from other disciplines. Working in a large academic system allows for connections to streamline multidisciplinary care, but also comes with challenges such as creating change and efficiency within a complex system.

Advice to young physicians regarding leadership?

Become a leader within a cause or organization that you care about and that energizes you.


Who were/are your mentors?

While I have had many wonderful colleagues and friends that have mentored me, my friend Kachiu Lee MD is an example of efficiency in scholarship and brilliance in networking and leadership. Bethanee Schlosser, MD PhD walked me through the complexities of academic medicine during my first few years as my mentor in the AAD Academic Dermatology Leadership Program.  Christopher Miller MD, my Mohs surgery fellowship director, leads by example and is incredibly generous in supporting my academic career.


What are you working on now? What future goals do you have?

I continue to work at integrating high quality interdisciplinary care for advanced and rare skin cancer patients.  My goal is to advance the boundaries, innovation and outcomes for Mohs surgery, and contribute to developing effective nonsurgical treatments.


Do you have advice to young physicians on achieving work/life balance?

I try to keep a long-term perspective on balance; some weeks may be skewed to long days at work, while other weeks I am able to take time off or get home early to spend more time with my family.  I try to give myself grace, to hold on to priorities without stressing the small things, knowing that being a physician mother can feel like an impossible task.
 

What do you like to do in your free time?

I am content with my extremely free-time-limited life. Instead, I focus on finding fulfillment within whichever moment of responsibility I am in, whether it is home with my husband and 5 kids (ranging from 8-18 years), or at work providing care for a challenging medical or surgical oncology case.  I love sitting down to dinner with my family, even if it is 8pm after I’ve had a long day of work and thrown together a quick meal.  I find joy in experiential adventures with my kids, such as exploring an outdoor garden or going on roller coasters or hiking mountains in my home state Alaska. And when I am running on empty and need some alone time, I may stay up late with a glass of wine and binge-watch a series like ‘Selling Sunset’.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Message from the President

7 Easy Habits to Conquer Public Speaking