WDS Young Physician Spotlight Interview – Neha Jariwala, MD

Interviewed by Stephanie Florez-Pollack, MD

Neha Jariwala, MD

Neha Jariwala, M.D. is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Dermatology at the University of Pennsylvania.

How did you become involved in the WDS and what benefits do you think WDS membership provides for residents/young physicians?

I became involved in WDS as a resident when I attended one of their review lectures. I was impressed by the resources of the WDS community. Since then, I have been attending their events, which have helped me to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in our field. Being a part of the WDS community has allowed me to network, which has opened doors for mentorship and career opportunities. Overall, I believe that WDS membership provides a unique and invaluable experience for physicians and residents who are looking to grow, develop, and collaborate in dermatology.
 

 

At what point did you decide that you wanted to do academics versus private practice? What's the biggest challenge you've faced in academia?

I have been interested in pursuing an academic career in dermatology prior to starting my residency. I have always been drawn to the opportunity to provide collaborative care while also developing a personal niche in both clinical and research settings. For me academic medicine offers a unique opportunity for growth and development, and I am excited to be a part of this community. The biggest challenge that I have faced in academia thus far is the need to balance clinical responsibilities with research and other academic pursuits.
 

 

Advice to young physicians regarding leadership?

My advice to young physicians regarding leadership would be to seek out opportunities to take on leadership roles, regardless of the size of scope. Opportunities such as serving on committees or taking on internal department projects all provide tangible and intangible leadership skills and help you make connections to mentors and other opportunities.
  

 

Who were/are your mentors?

Throughout my training and as a junior faculty member, I've had the privilege of receiving guidance and support from a group of outstanding mentors. These individuals include Dr. Alain Rook, Dr. Ellen Kim, Dr. Misha Rosenbach, Dr. Sara Samimi, Dr. Christopher Miller, Dr. Harold Higgins, and Dr. Cerrene Giordano. Their formal and informal mentorship has been invaluable in shaping my career path and helping me navigate the challenges of academic medicine. I am grateful for their wisdom, generosity, and ongoing support.
 

 

What are you working on now? What future goals do you have?

As a junior faculty member at the University of Pennsylvania, my current work involves providing care to patients in the fields of general dermatology and cutaneous oncology. I'm particularly interested in exploring telemedicine and addressing issues related to access to care. Recently, I was awarded the ASDS Jumpstart Research grant, which will allow me to investigate the management of acral melanomas. Moving forward, I am eager to carve out a distinct academic niche and establish a program that aligns with my interests and passions.
  

 

Do you have advice to young physicians on achieving work/life balance?

My advice would be to prioritize self-care and make time for activities that bring you joy and relaxation outside of work. For me it was to set realistic expectations and boundaries for yourself, and to communicate them openly. I often remind myself that priorities can shift over time, and what works for achieving work/life balance now may need to be adjusted in the future as personal and professional circumstances evolve. Regularly reassessing and adjusting your approach can help maintain a sustainable balance.
 

 

What do you like to do in your free time?

During my free time, I enjoy exploring the Philadelphia restaurant scene and trying new cuisines. I love to travel and spend time with my friends and family.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing the information with us. If you are a physiologist and want to reach your targeted customers then Go Big LA can help you with this. Connect with their professional digital marketing consultant and make profit with your business.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Message from the President

7 Easy Habits to Conquer Public Speaking