Young Physician's Spotlight: Dr. Gabriella Vasile

 


Dr. Gabriella Vasile is a double board-certified dermatologist and fellowship trained Mohs Surgeon. She currently practices at Goodman Dermatology in Georgia.

 

Interviewed by Neha Chandan MD, MPH, PGY3 Dermatology Resident

 

1.)      How did you become involved in the WDS and what benefits do you think WDS membership provides for residents/young physicians?

 

I initially became a part of WDS as a resident. Many of my peers were involved and it sounded like a great community to be a part of. It provided me with so many resources as I was going through training, and has been especially helpful for career development. I am currently a member of the social media committee for WDS and love helping to bust myths and put scientific facts out there for the general public.

 

One of the best parts of WDS is that it offers residents and young physicians the ability to connect with peers and colleagues within the derm community. It has allowed me to meet so many new people at various stages of my training. There are also lots of great resident-geared lectures on specific topics that are both helpful for the boards and real life!

 

2.)      Are you in private practice or academics? At what point did you decide that you wanted to do private practice versus academics?

 

I’m currently in a private practice group. I’ve always had the idea of private practice in my mind, simply because I enjoy the smaller work environment and the personal feel. I also get to work with residents at the practice I’m at, which is great because it gives that academic feel. I get to teach residents dermatological surgery and Mohs micrographic surgery, so it’s the best of both worlds for me.

 

3.)      Advice to young physicians regarding leadership?

 

Get involved in leadership roles! if you can find something that you’re interested in or passionate about, getting involved can open opportunities for you in your career and help you form connections with others. We need a lot of younger physicians entering these leadership roles because they are the future, so it’s important that they get involved.

 

4.)      Who were/are your mentors?

 

My residency program direction, Dr. Brad Glick, really fostered my understanding of dermatology and helped me grow and become the dermatologist I am today. He is also a great program director! My fellowship program directors, Dr. Eli Saleeby and Dr. Eduardo Weiss, have also helped me explore my interests in the fields of cosmetic and surgical dermatology.   

 

5.)   What are you working on now?

 

I’m currently working on expanding my own social media presence to have valuable educational content on social media that people can trust. I also have a few other special projects in the works that I’ll be announcing soon, so stay tuned!

 

5.)      Do you have advice to young physicians on achieving work/life balance?

 

Work life balance is so important for your sanity. For me, staying organized is the best way to achieve that balance. Planning out your time and scheduling specific time to get work done helps you procrastinate less. Scheduling either short little breaks or longer breaks is great for clearing your mind and making sure you don’t get burnt out. Make sure to also prioritize things that relieve stress, whether that be exercising, cooking healthy meals, or spending time with family. Do the things that you know will help you feel better both mentally and physically!

 

7.)   What do you like to do in your free time?

 

I absolutely love to travel and go on trips with my husband or our families and friends - exploring new places and cultures is the best! I also love to spend time with my pups and enjoy working out, like going to spin classes or pilates.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Message from the President

7 Easy Habits to Conquer Public Speaking