Young Physician Spotlight - Nada Elbuluk, MD, MSc

Dr. Nada Elbuluk is a board-certified dermatologist and assistant professor in the Department of Dermatology at USC Keck School of Medicine. She received her bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Princeton University where she also minored in Gender Studies and African American Studies. She went on to complete her medical degree from the University of Michigan where she graduated with a distinction in research. While there she received an NIH award that allowed her to also obtain a Master of Science in Clinical Research from the University of Michigan, School of Public Health. She completed her dermatology residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Afterwards, she served as a fellow and clinical instructor in the dermatology department at The University of Pennsylvania.

Dr. Elbuluk’s clinical and research interests include general and cosmetic dermatology, with a special interest in ethnic skin and pigmentary disorders including vitiligo, melasma, and postinflammatory hyperpigmentation. Dr. Elbuluk is a Diplomate of the American Academy of Dermatology and holds professional memberships with the American Academy of Dermatology, the Women’s Dermatologic Society, and the Skin of Color Society.

How did you become interested in dermatology and what led you to where you are now?
I had an early fascination with dermatology and the visual nature of the field going into medical school. This was solidified after taking our second year dermatology course. I then had the opportunity to shadow Dr. Lorna Thomas in Detroit and had a wonderful broad exposure to dermatology and a diverse array of patients with different pathologies in her clinic. I decided after my third year of medical school, to gain more experience on the research side of dermatology. I spent a year doing an NIH T32 award program at the University of Michigan where I obtained a Master of Science in Clinical Research and received mentorship for my clinical and translational research from Dr. Sewon Kang. By the end of that year, I'd had experience on both the clinical and research sides of dermatology and knew it was the perfect fit for me. Those experiences also helped solidify my interested in pigmentary disorders and ethnic skin, which I specialize in now. I went on to do my residency at Johns Hopkins where I continued my research in these areas. After residency, I spent a year at the University of Pennsylvania with Dr. Bill James doing the Clinician Educator fellowship. This year better prepared me for a career in academia by allowing me to further develop my clinical and research niche as well as preparing me for how to best teach and mentor residents and medical students.

What are you working on now?
I currently am an assistant professor of dermatology. I've spent the last four years at NYU and will be moving this summer to start the next chapter of my career at USC. I am currently working on several research projects and papers on vitiligo, skin of color conditions, and procedural dermatology in ethnic skin. I am also active with several organizations. I just finished my term as chair of the WDS Young Physicians Committee and am now serving on the new WDS Integrative Task force committee as well as continuing my term on the Media Committee. Additionally I am on the board of the Skin of Color society where I chair the Research committee, and I also serve on the AAD's Young Physicians Committee. 

What advice do you have for residents and young career dermatologists who want to become more active in reaching the underserved populations?
I'm very passionate about diversity and helping the underserved. I have spent the last few years at NYU as the Diversity Ambassador for the Department and as NYU's Diversity Champion for the AAD's Diversity Task Force. Through these programs, I've had the opportunity to create many great initiatives to help increase diversity in medical schools and dermatology residencies. I'm a strong believer that this process starts early and for that reason have worked on pipeline volunteer programs that start as early as elementary, middle, and high school, where we either go out to the schools or have them come visit us at the hospital and talk to them about career options in medicine and how to pursue this path if interested. I think for anyone interested in doing this kind of work, the AAD Diversity Task Force and the Skin of Color Society both offer many resources on programming and how to get started. For those interested, forming a committee at one's program can help create an organized effort for various programming that helps underserved populations. Lastly, finding a mentor who is doing similar work can also be a tremendous resource. One of my mentors, Dr. Amit Pandya, has been very supportive and helpful in this realm.

How did you decide to pursue a career in academics vs. private practice? Can you speak to the benefits and challenges you face as an academician?
I was fortunate to have exposure to both academics and private practice while I was a medical student. I saw advantages to both but felt for me, I wanted to try having a career in academia. I was attracted to the variety of roles one could have in an academic institution, the ability to do a mix of clinic, research, teaching, and administration, and the opportunity to be part of an institution where I could collaborate with others in and out of my department. I also like the ability to work with medical students and residents. With that said, I have mentors in private practice who have academic affiliations and who have been able to find a similar balance. I think one has to know their personality and try out what they think is the best fit for them. Fortunately, we have lots of options in dermatology to practice in different settings and
to find the right combination of settings in which we can thrive and be happiest.

What advice can you give young physicians on achieving a work-life balance?
This is a challenge that I feel I'm always working on especially after becoming a mother. One thing I try doing is putting aside blocks of time for doing things. I try to compartmentalize as much as I can, so that when I'm at work, I try to be as efficient and productive as possible during the time I have there and when I'm at home, I try to be fully present and engaged with my family and not do work related things. I think having good help also makes a big difference and buying yourself time by outsourcing things that you don't feel are a good use of your time.

What do you do in your free time?
I love to spend time with my family and friends. I enjoy the outdoors, photography, reading, and traveling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Message from the President

7 Easy Habits to Conquer Public Speaking