Young Physician Spotlight - Jeannette Jakus, MD, MBA, FAAD, FAAP




Jeannette Jakus, MD, MBA, FAAD, FAAP is the Director of Clinical Research and a Clinical Assistant Professor of Dermatology at State University of New York (SUNY) Downstate Medical Center.
A lifelong New Yorker, Dr. Jakus graduated from Columbia College at Columbia University with a double major in Premedical Sciences and Economics, and received her medical degree from Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia. She completed a pediatrics residency at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York and a dermatology residency and pediatric dermatology fellowship at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn. Dr. Jakus also has an MBA from Columbia Business School, and she was the inaugural recipient of the American Academy of Dermatology Translational Biotechnology Fellowship in Sophia Antipolis, France where she spent a year learning about dermatologic drug research and development.
She is one of a few physicians in the region who is board-certified in both Dermatology and Pediatrics, and is a fellow of both the American Academy of Dermatology and the American Academy of Pediatrics. Dr. Jakus is trained in the treatment of a full spectrum of skin disorders, with a specialized expertise in pediatric dermatology--a unique focus on pediatric and adolescent skin conditions.
As the Director of Clinical Research, she applies her enthusiasm and unique experience in pediatrics, dermatology, and drug development to deliver the most up-to-date, innovative, compassionate, and thoughtful treatments to patients. Dr. Jakus is an active member of the American Academy of Dermatology, the Society of Pediatric Dermatology, the Women's Dermatologic Society, and the American Academy of Pediatrics.


1.      How and when did you develop your niche within dermatology?

I started developing my niche early on, dating back to college.  I had a dual interest in business and medicine. Medicine came easily because I come from a family of physicians, but business was less familiar. I went so far as to get an MBA in medical school, finished a Pediatric residency and then went into Dermatology because that was my passion.  After training I was still interested in entrepreneurship in medicine and wanted to explore where medicine and industry collide. The year of my graduation, the American Academy of Dermatology offered a fellowship in collaboration with Galderma Research and Development that created an opportunity for a young dermatologist to go to their campus in Southern France to learn about drug development for a year. As the lucky inaugural recipient of the fellowship, I was exposed to the pharmaceutical industry, where I learned a new language and understanding of drug development. 
When I returned from France, I wasn't ready to give up my clinical work and was fortunate to have been offered an opportunity to carry on the legacy of my former chairman, Dr. Alan Shalita, as the Director of the new Alan R. Shalita Clinical Research Unit at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
Through my Appointment at SUNY Downstate, I am able to continue my work with residents and patients, but still engage with industry as an investigator for clinical trials. I keep my connection with industry by attending conferences and meeting frequently with key industry contacts, such as, medical science liaisons (MSL). MSLs are employees of pharmaceutical companies who provide educational and scientific data to physicians. They are an invaluable resource for those interested in learning about a company’s drug pipeline, and getting involved with clinical trials.

2.      Who were the mentors who helped you to realize your vision?
One of my first exposures to pediatric dermatology was during a rotation in medical school when I met Dr. Sharon Glick. Dr. Glick has since helped guide and support my interests in pediatric dermatology as a mentor throughout my year of pediatric dermatology research fellowship and then into my residency at SUNY Downstate. White at Downstate, I was also fortunately to meet and work with Dr. Dan Siegel who has endless enthusiasm in supporting residents through his many ideas and connections. I was also very fortunate to have worked with the late Dr. Shalita, who as chairman, fostered a friendly and family-like environment at our department. As the leader of our weekly journal review, Dr. Neil Brody, another SUNY Downstate contact, taught me to think critically and ask questions – a skill that I carried through my time at Galderma and now as a researcher.
Finally, as a faculty member at SUNY Downstate, Dr. Ed Heilman has been extremely supportive as a chairman and a boss. His positivity and encouragement has helped support my work at the department.

3.      What advice would you give to young physicians interested in an academic career?
As residents and young physicians, all kinds of different things come our way. Luck and fortune have had a huge impact on my career, but also persistence, paying attention, and being aware of the opportunities that are out there. It is important early in your career to try to be as active and engaged as possible by taking advantage of as many things as you can. However, this can get overwhelming very quickly. How do you do that without burning out? In the moments when I feel like my plate is overfilled, I try to space things out by creating fixed deadlines for my projects, so that I can move on to the next one. Sometimes, you may also need to just say “no,” and that is okay, as long as you turn things down politely, offer a reliable alternative, and avoid closing any doors.
It is important to find a place where you can set your own goals and where you have the freedom to get things done. Know yourself well, and know what environment suits you. If you know what your strengths and your abilities are, and approach things with enthusiasm and interest, there is nothing that you cannot achieve. When deciding on a career in academia, seek out an environment or institution where faculty are supportive of residents and one another. At my department, if there is something I want to do, everyone will work with me to make it happen.

4.      How do you balance your busy career with your home life?
I have a young family and two kids who keep me busy.  In residency, my kids were still babies, and I was able to go home, spend time with them, and still have energy and time to do my work. Now that my kids are older and demand more of my home time, I have become better at managing my time at work. I try to be flexible and spend extra time at the office, rather than doing too much at home, so that when I go home my life belongs to my family. I am also very fortunate to have a lot of support in my life. A good social network has been key in terms of time management.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Message from the President

7 Easy Habits to Conquer Public Speaking